These tofu lettuce wraps are packed with vegetables and fun to make. The butter lettuce leads to a perfect base of a wrap: slightly crispy, but easy to roll. The mix of cabbage, carrot, cucumber and tofu makes up a very tasty and crunchy fill up. Dip it in the spicy sauce and you’re ready to go! Tip: If you want to make it vegan, leave out the fish sauce in the dip.
- Place a few sheets of kitchen paper on a cutting board and place the tofu block on top. Place another couple of kitchen paper sheets over it and top with a second cutting board. Place something heavy, such as a cast iron pan, on this cutting board. Leave the tofu like this for at least an hour. The tofu becomes more compact, loses some moisture, so it fries up crispier.
- Cut the red cabbage into thin strips. Do the same with the cucumber and carrot.
- Slice or crush the garlic cloves and finely chop the red pepper. Mix the garlic, red pepper, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sugar in a small bowl to make the sauce.
- After (more than) an hour, slice the tofu and then quarter those slices. Mix the tofu strips in a bowl with salt, pepper, and cornstarch. Make sure all the strips are covered with cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the tofu strips until crispy and brown.
- Mix half of the sauce with the vegetable strips in a bowl.
- Place 2 lettuce leaves on top of each other, top with a scoop of vegetables and some tofu strips. Fold the leaves around the filling and use some cooking twine to hold the leaves together.
- There you go, your tofu lettuce wraps and the spicy dipping sauce are ready to be served.