Snack cucumbers might also be called mini, baby, or lunchbox cucumbers. Fun-sized snack cucumbers are smaller versions of traditional cucumbers. Even when the fruit is fully mature, they are only around 10cm long. As the name suggests, they are designed to be the perfect size for snacking.
How to prepare
They are fresh, healthy, delicious – eat them whole as a lunchbox-friendly snack, in half as a crisp crudité, or chopped into a salad.
Buyer's and storage guide
More often you'll find them packaged. Fruit should look fresh, clean, and free of blemishes. In their packaging, they're best stored in the vegetable crisper of the refrigerator where they should keep for at least a week. Any cut portions should be consumed straight away. No cooling is required when packing whole for lunches, treat just like any other piece of fruit.
- Enjoy whole as a snack - tasty and refreshing
- Pack into kids lunch boxes
- Slice the fruit lengthwise to prepare as dipping sticks along with carrot, celery, and capsicum on a share plate with some homemade hummus
- Create dinner party finger food with fruit cut lengthways in half, topped with some smoked salmon, crème fraiche, and dill
- Try as a rusk alternative for young children who are teething
- Cut them in half lengthways and add to a glass or jug of water, with some sliced lemon for a refreshing drink.