A festive spinach salad with blackberries, mozzarella and red velvet dressing. The dressing and topping are made from forest fruits. The salad is topped with creamy mozzarella and crunchy pistachios. This is a great combination and the dazzling array of colours lends a stunning visual touch to a festive dinner or brunch.
This salad is easy to vary. For example, replace blackberries with strawberries or blueberries and the mozzarella for burrata or soft goat cheese.
- Start with the dressing:
- Bring the red fruit to a boil in a saucepan along with 3 tablespoons of water. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool before adding the honey and olive oil. Use a blender to make a smooth sauce and season with some fresh pepper from a mill.
- Mix the spinach and lettuce in a bowl.
- Slice the cucumber into ribbons with a peeler or cheese slicer, cut the ribbons in half lengthwise.
- Mix with the lettuce and top with the blackberries.
- Tear the mozzarella into small pieces and spread over the salad.
- Finally, sprinkle the pistachios and basil over the salad.
- Pour the dressing over the salad when ready to serve.