The tomato, the fruit vegetable with a past and a future. In the past, there weren't as many varieties.
How to prepare
Remove the stem. Then cut into slices or cubes. For some preparations like casserole or soup, it's better to remove the peel. Use a knife to cut a cross in the tomato and then briefly immerse it in boiling water for half a minute. Then immediately immerse them in cold water. The peel can now easily be removed.
Cooked: 10 - 15 minutes
Microwave: 4 - 8 minutes
Grilled: 3 - 5 minutes
Buyer's and storage guide
Fruit should feel strong and the peel must be unblemished. A ripe tomato yields a little when pressed. Do not eat unripe, green tomatoes. They contain Solanine, a natural toxin that can cause stomach and intestinal problems.
Best kept in a cool place (12 degrees Celsius), but not in the refrigerator. That way, tomatoes can be stored for about a week.
- In caprese salad with mozzarella and basil
- In pasta sauce with ground beef, onions and garlic
- Stuffed with salmon and celery salad
- In slices on a toast or added in a soup
- As halves brushed with oil and grilled for 4-5 minutes
- As a snack tomato with dip sauce