There is no soup more delicious than one made with fresh ingredients. For this savoury soup you need ripe, firm truss tomatoes.
- Peel the skins off the truss tomatoes. Cut them into eights and remove the seeds.
- Finely slice the onion and garlic, then sauté gentle in the oil.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the tomatoes and fry for 1 minute on high heat.
- Add the stock cube to the water and boil. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree the soup with a hand blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup between four bowls and garnish with chopped basil.
The soup is delicious with French bread, spread with garlic butter!
Tips from the author
Variations: Ginger is a good alternative for seasoning if you want some sweetness, or spice it up with some tabasco sauce. If you'd like, you can add a can of tomato puree or meat balls.
- It will be easier to peel the tomatoes if you blanch them in boiling water first. Before you add them to the water, cut an X at the bottom of the tomato - this will give you a starting point to peel the skin off.
- Seeds can also be removed after pureeing by sieving the soup.
- Use some more tomatoes for a thicker soup. Fresh, ripe truss tomatoes are shiny, have a beautiful red colour and the crown looks freshly green. So, use Sunfresh tomatoes!