This savoury pie is filled with purple and green cauliflower, paired with a tasty white sauca, or Béchamel sauce. Serve it for Christmas dinner - or make it for a lazy, comfortable weekend.
- Sift the flour and cornflour together. Add salt, butter, and milk and knead into a uniform ball.
- Pack the ball in plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cook the cauliflower florets for 1 minute in boiling water with salt and baking soda – cook the purple and green separately to preserve the colours.
- Drain and set aside.
White sauce (Béchamel)
- Put the butter and onion in a saucepan and cook until the onion is softened. Then add the whole wheat flour, mix well and keep stirring until a light golden colour.
- Add the milk (cold) and whisk continually to avoid lumps forming.
- Next, add the bay leaf. The appearance will be very creamy, then add the cheese and mix again.
- Season with salt and nutmeg.
- Select a baking plate with a removable base.
- Roll out the dough. Note: the dough must be rolled out larger than the plate as you will need this to make the pie crust.
- Arrange the florets over the dough and top with the sauce. Then turn the dough in to close the circle and create an edged crust.
- Use the extra florets to garnish the pie.
- Brush the pie crust with the egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp of water.
- Bake the pie in a hot oven (200 C) until the edges are golden brown, for about 20-30 minutes.