A spicy vegetarian dish with Asian cucumbers, stir fried with red pepper, carrots and soy sauce then served with hot chilli sauce. Served as a simple meal with some rice. Without rice it's a perfect side dish to try with other Asian-style recipes.
- Cook rice according to the instructions on the package and then leave it in the pan with the lid on to steam the rice.
- Wash and chop the Asian cucumber and thinly slice the red pepper.
- Peel and slice the carrot, then cut the slices in half.
- Chop the spring onion into rings and coarsely chop cilantro.
- Pre-heat a wok and add oil.
- Stir-fry carrot and cucumber over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Then add pepper and stir-fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Finally, add soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger syrup and continue to stir-fry until everything is well mixed (2 minutes).
- Serve up the white rice and add the stir-fried vegetables, then sprinkle with the spring onion and cilantro.
- Serve with chili sauce on the side.
Tips from the author
What are Asian cucumbers?
When most people think of cucumbers, they tend to think of 'cold' preparations like salads. But cucumbers can be a great stir-fry ingredient as well. They become tender in a hot wok and their freshness is a great addition to spicy Asian dishes. Asian cucumbers have a thicker skin, with small spines.