You'll love these eggplants filled with a ratatouille mixture of sweet peppers (capsicum), onions, tomatoes and tuna. A simple and very nutritious recipe. I like to add a hint of spice with a few drops of tabasco sauce, but this is totally optional. You can also top the eggplants with a little grated cheese (in my case, lactose-free). Let me know what you think below!
- To begin, wash the eggplant well, cutting off the top of the stem, and cut lengthwise into two long halves. Sprinkle a few drops of oil and put in the oven at 200º for 25 minutes.
- Wash all the vegetables well and chop into small chunks.
- In a saucepan or large skillet add about three tablespoons of olive oil. Mince the garlic and fry over low to medium heat.
- When the garlic starts to brown, add the onion and capsicum and fry until it starts to soften. Then add the diced fresh tomatoes and continue sautéing about ten minutes, until the tomato is falling apart. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Once you have removed the eggplants from the oven, allow them to cool. Extract the pulp of the eggplant with great care not to break the skin (video instructions below), as later we will be using it as an edible container. Cut the flesh into small pieces and added to the sauce once it is almost ready.
- Add the two cans of tuna (and, if you like, the olive oil from one of the cans) and a good dash of passata. If you like spice, add a few drops of tabasco. Combine the ingredients well, stirring for three or four minutes, and remove from heat.
- Fill each eggplant half with the sauce. If desired, cover the eggplant with shredded cheese (lactose-free if needed) and grill/broil about five minutes to melt the cheese.
Tips from the author
We will show you how to remove the eggplant pulp without breaking the skin to use as a delicious edible boat. Just watch the video!