The snack cucumber has found a firm home among the regular vegetables on offer. This mini vegetable is deliciously fresh and delightfully crunchy. We eat this cucumber most often as a snack, adding it to the lunchbox and using it in a salad. But you can do so much more with the snack cucumber ... roll it up or braid it. Let your imagination run wild and add some visual appeal to your everyday lunch!
The basis for this festive and appealing lunch is a healthy, hearty bread, a bit of cream cheese, fresh herbs, and a few snack cucumbers. It doesn’t take much effort to prepare a tasty and healthy lunch! Especially in these festive, but often high-calorie months...
- Crush the garlic clove and cut some chives. Mix this with the cream cheese and add freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Wash the cucumbers and cut them into thin slices lengthwise using a peeler (or mandolin)
- Spread the herbed cream cheese on the slices of bread.
- Interweave the slices of 2 cucumbers, then sprinkle with chopped chives.
- For the other slice, cut a few chive stalks to the right length to create a ‘bouquet’.
- Then roll up the slices of the last cucumber and press them into the cream cheese around the chive stems.
- Cut some leaves from the basil and arrange them as petals.
Tips from the author
You could also use halved bread rolls as a base. Great for a buffet and special occasions!