What a great start to the summer! Fantastic weather to be outside. In any case, it's not the best weather to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, but it's perfect for barbecuing al fresco. I've created a simple recipe that is quick to prepare and goes well with barbecue dishes. It’s also suitable for vegetarians and even works well as a main course!
I used a really summery vegetable, the zucchini, for this recipe. This vegetable is well-suited for grilling. To add an extra pop of colour, I opted to use a yellow as well as a green zucchini. In addition, tasty, ripe tomatoes, red onion, and the beautiful leaves of the Salanova lettuce.
- Carefully cut the two zucchinis lengthwise. You get 4 to 5 slices of 1 cm from one zucchini.
- Use a brush to spread the slices of zucchini with some olive oil.
- Heat a large grill pan over high heat and grill the zucchini slices for about 4 minutes until golden brown. Turn halfway. After cooking, place the slices on a plate, but don’t stack them.
- While the zucchinis are grilling, you can slice the tomatoes and the mozzarella.
- Cut the onion into rings and grill.
- All the ingredients to build the burger are now ready.
- I like to add as many vegetables as possible and I often have sprouts in the house, which go nicely fits with this zucchini burger.
- Start with a slice of zucchini, then 2 leaves of lettuce, then 2 slices of mozzarella, 2 slices of tomato, some onion rings and sprouts. Repeat this once or twice, depending on how high you want to make the zucchini burger.
- When you're done, skewer the zucchini burger with a cocktail stick to hold it firmly and present it beautifully.
- Finally, sprinkle some sesame seeds over the top to give this vegetable dish a burger-like appearance.
Enjoy your meal!
Tips from the author
If you eat the zucchini burger as a side dish, and use the above quantities, you will have extra grilled vegetables, which you can use for lunch the next day or in a salad. Win-win!