As industry specialists in growing and producing tomatoes, we're often asked our opinion on the best ways to prepare and serve tomatoes. In our opinion, you just can't go wrong with a fresh and well-seasoned tomato salsa. It's such a versatile side dish as the ingredients can be slightly adjusted depending on your taste and the cuisine. Just switch the avocado for red onion and add in some fresh coriander for the best tomato based accompaniment to an Indian curry.
This recipe calls for Italian seasoning to add a punch of flavour to the salsa. It's just a pre-mixed blend of commonly used dried herbs like basil, oregano and chilli flakes. You can buy this at the supermarket or make it yourself. Alternatively, enhance your salsa with fresh herbs like coriander, basil or mint.
- Mix in a bowl half the Italian seasoning with the sunflower oil.
- Cut the cocktail tomatoes into tiny cubes and mix these with the seasoned oil.
- Halve the avocado and scoop out the flesh then cut into tiny cubes. Stir these into the wine vinegar and mix with the tomatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve your tomato salsa with the tortilla chips for the perfect dip to share with friends.
Tips from the author
For those who like their salsa with a hint of spice, try adding a few drops of Tabasco sauce.
If you like the idea of salads as the perfect appetiser or snack; this blog will show you five inspiring combinations.