Colorful, tasteful and summer vibe sensations... that is this taco salad bowl at its best. Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly and this eye-popping colorful rainbow salad awaits you: differently colored sweet pointed peppers, sweet potato, summer corn, ripe tomato, and red onion and a creamy avocado-lime dressing.
The salad is served in a tortilla bowl to add that extra touch of summer. So you cannot only eat the salad but also the bowl! These fancy taco salad bowls are not only eye-catching but also give that extra crunchy and crispy sensation. If you are running short on time, just cut the tortillas into triangles, mix them with some oil and bake them in the oven to get homemade tortilla chips. Serve them as side dish and crumble some of them on top of the salad. You will love this ridiculously addictive salad!
Extra kitchen utensils:
4 oven safe bowls of about 5” – 6” (12-15 cm) in diameter, food processor
- Preheat the oven at 430 degrees Fahrenheit (225 degrees Celsius). Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Grease the oven safe bowls. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of water in a low bowl and dip the tortillas one by one in the bowl. Make sure to coat both sides of the tortilla in the oil. Shape the tortillas into the bowls and make sure they stick well to the sides of the bowl, otherwise your tortilla bowl will fall apart during the baking process.
- Place the bowls in the oven and bake them for about 12 minutes. Remove the tortilla bowls from the oven safe bowls and let them cool on a rack. Do not turn off the oven.
- Cut the sweet potato (with or without the skin, whatever you prefer) into thick wedges. Mix them with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and season them with pepper and salt. Bake them in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown. You could also bake them together with the tortilla bowls.
- Put the avocado, fresh cilantro, lime juice, maple syrup and the extra virgin olive oil into the food processor and blend to get a tasty dressing. The ideal dressing thickness sits between mashed avocado and your classic dressing. Is your dressing too thick? Just add some extra water. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Remove the stems, the membranes and the seeds from the pointed peppers. Cut the peppers into thin rings. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves and chop the onion.
- Mix the pepper rings, tomatoes and onion in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Add the corn kernels and jalapeño slices according to your own taste and preferences.
- Then spoon the salad into the tortilla bowls and cover the salad with a generous tablespoon of dressing. Garnish the salad with roughly chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Tips from the author
Sweet pointed peppers offer quality and great taste with their unique traits of thin skin, fewer seeds, rich and sweet flavor and versatility. Sweet pointed peppers can be purchased at most Meijer grocery stores and Sprouts Farmers Market.