Leeks are a delicious, yet underrated, vegetable. They are also a budget-friendly ingredient full of flavour. We’ve incorporated it into a classic English pie. This vegetable pie can also be adapted to use leftover meat and vegetables.
- Defrost the puff pastry sheets. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees and grease the quiche dish(es) with butter or oil.
- Bring the bouillon to the boil in a pan. Cook the chicken breast in the bouillon for about 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Then pull the chicken apart with two forks.
- Chop the onion and cut the leeks into rings.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions until transparent. Add the leeks and 2 tbsp of bouillon from the other pan. Fry the leeks until soft. Then add the creme fraiche, pulled chicken and peas, and stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and add the grated cheese.
- Fill the quiche dish(es) with the chicken-vegetable mixture and pour the egg on top*. Bake the quiche(s) in the oven for 25-45 minutes (depending on the size of dish you chose) until the egg is cooked and the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Allow the quiche(s) to cool slightly and then serve immediately. Delicious with a green cucumber side salad.
Tips from the author
If you prefer your savory pie with more vegetables, then check out this easy cottage pie with veggies.