Warm up with a delicious bowl of red cabbage soup. Red cabbage is low in calories but high in fibre and packed full of minerals and vitamics, including Vitamic C - the cold fighting vitamin! Topped with fresh apple and crispy walnuts, this easy soup is fresh and interesting with a bit of a crunch.
When choosing a red cabbage, look for one that is bright in colour, feels heavy and has crisp leaves.
- Chop the onion finely and fry in a large stock pot.
- Add the chopped red cabbage and minced garlic. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage has softened.
- Add the cubed apple, stock and bay leaves and bring to the boil. Leave it to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and scoop 4 tablespoons of the cooked cabbage from the pan to use as a garnish later.
- Blend the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup over 4 bowls. Garnish with the cabbage and the chopped walnuts.