Are you ever stuck for finger food ideas or food that can be easily eaten without service utensils when you are out and about? Well, this recipe makes sharing a salad easy. You can subsitute any of the ingredients with your favourite leafy greens or vegetables for a similar tasty result.
The Kimchi recipe listed under 'Additional Information' requires 4 hours standing plus 3 days marinating in the refrigerator to develop the flavours so these can be prepared in advance.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Soak the rice paper sheets for about 30 seconds and ensure they are fairly flat during this time.
- Remove and allow excess water to drain and place on a very lightly oiled bench.
- Place individual ingredients along the edge of the sheet, closely beside each other.
- Fold over until ingredients are covered, and fold each side.
- Place violas at the top of the sheet and roll up.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Hot and Sour Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
To make the Kimchi
- 800g Chinese cabbage, thick stem removed, roughly cut
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup rock salt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece ginger, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Combine the cabbage, water and salt in a bowl. Cover with cling film and set aside for 4 hours. Drain excess liquid and reserve for later.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Pour over reserved liquid to cover and place in a sealable container in the fridge. Set aside for 3 days to develop the flavours. Drain well before assembling into the rice paper rolls.
- Serve Rice Paper Rolls with Hot and Sour Sauce.