Life can't get any fresher than this snacking salad. Maybe you have never tried fennel or you've seen it in the supermarket and are left wondering how do I eat such a strange looking vegetable. It's pretty amazing, and trust me you'll have to give this salad a go! The pairing of the aniseed flavour of fennel with the acidic burst of fresh orange, makes this a great sharing plate.
- First things first - pour yourself a glass of good red wine and turn on the music then grab your fennel and remove any damaged outer leaves of the bulb.
- Turn the fennel on its side and start thinly slicing - just like you would an onion. Discard the small thick core.
- Chop the cucumber into 2 cm chunks and peel then slice the orange into wedges.
- Simply scatter the sliced fennel and chopped cucumber on serving plates, top with the orange segments
- For the dressing: quickly whisk together a tablespoon of olive oil with a pinch of salt and pepper, drizzle over the salad.
- Garnish with some of the fennel fronds (which you can eat too)
Tips from the author
This suggestion is for a healthy starter. You can also toss fennel into a salad of mixed lettuce leaves and add some crumbled feta.