Something light, fresh, and healthy was on the menu inspired by the butternut pumpkin sitting on the kitchen shelf. I love roasting vegetables and serving them as a salad that is designed for sharing. This lightly tossed salad of eggplant, pumpkin and chick peas is served on a bed of baby spinach with a light and spicy creamy 'Morrocan' style dressing. While it takes a little time to prepare and roast the vegetables (which can be prepared ahead), trust me it's worth the effort!
- Preheat the oven to 220*C
- The pumpkin takes a little longer to cook than the eggplant and capsicum. Chop the pumpkin into bite sized pieces, lightly toss in some olive oil then roast for 30-40 minutes in the oven griller until cooked. Then slice the eggplant and capsicum, brush both sides with a little oil and grill for 6-7 minutes per side. Allow to cool slighlty then cut into smaller pieces.
- Just before serving: Whisk together the spices and the cream to make the dressing then, in a bowl, gently combine the dressing with the roasted vegetables and chick peas.
- On a large flat salad plate place a generous layer of baby spinach leaves and simply top with the vegetable mixture.
- Garnish with red onion, and thinly sliced carrot. Season with a little salt. Share and enjoy!
Tips from the author
- Sort on time? Simply steam or boil the pumpkin while grilling the vegetables.
- Mix and match with your favourite vegetables that you have on hand or are in season.
- Roasted beetroot, zucchini, baby carrots and sweet potato will all work well with this salad.