Are you looking for a budget-friendly meal packed with flavour? Save time and money with this delicious leek and bacon quiche that uses just five ingredients. The recipe is flexible when it comes to the vegetable ingredients, you can easily swap leek for zucchini, spinach or broccoli, because they all combine well with bacon and puff pastry.
Leek might seem a strong flavour in this dish, but the secret of this recipe is to stew the leek a couple of minutes first, because the oniony flavour mellows into sweetness as it cooks, that makes all the difference!
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees.
- Cut leeks lenghtwise in halves.
- Bake the leek shortly in butter or olive oil and subsequently pour a small amount of water in the pot (the leek doesn’t have to be completely submerged). After that, stew the leek al dente (firm to the bite) in 5 minutes and let it drain sufficiently using a colander.
- In the meantime, fry the bacon approximately 5 minutes and place it on a paper towel to allow any excess oil to be absorbed.
- Beat the two eggs well through the crème fraiche until you get a smooth mixture.
- Use a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roll out the puff pastry on it.
- Prick the unbaked puff pastry all over with a fork and spread out the crème fraiche thickly over the dough.
- Divide the leeks and bacon over the puff pastry and place it in the preheated oven.
- If you want to add more flavour ingredients, then you might want to sprinkle some grated cheese and rosemary on top of the quiche before it goes in the oven. If necessary, season with salt and pepper.
- In 15-20 minutes your leek and bacon quiche is ready, which can be seen on the golden brown turned edges of the tart.
Tips from the author
This quiche can be served as a dinner meal, combine it with an easy 5 minute salad.