Shakshuka is a one-skillet dish that's popular in Middle Eastern countries.
- Cut the onion in rings and the capsicum in cubes or strips.
- Heat olive oil in a big skillet. Bake cumin for 2 minutes, add the onion rings for 2 minutes and add the capsicum, sugar, fresh herbs (keep a little cilantro apart) en bake for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Add the peeled tomato cubes and a little juice from the can, kurkuma and cayenne pepper and bring to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make 4 holes in the sauce and carefully add a raw egg in every hole (optional, season the eggs with a little salt and pepper)
- Put a lid on th skillet and cook the eggs for about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with some fresh chopped cilantro
Tips from the author
This recipe is suitable for breakfast, lunch and dinner and serves 4 portions. But for dinner I would advice to serve this portion for 2 persons.