Waffles are real comfort food. And an ideal breakfast. They are light and crispy and can be either sweet or savoury. This recipe is a delicious combination of a savoury waffle with sweet, caramelized banana slices with a generous scoop of creamy Greek yoghurt. If that's not a good start to the day, I don’t know what is! With a waffle iron you can make these savoury, homemade waffles in an instant. Don't have a waffle iron? No worries, I let you know below how to make them without one.
- Separate the eggs, keep the egg whites separate. Blend the milk with the baby spinach, yogurt and egg yolk in a mixer until it forms a smooth and uniform mixture.
- Add the other ingredients and mix again to incorporate. Beat the egg whites until stiff and gently mix it through your batter (this ensures airy waffles).
- Heat the waffle iron and grease it with butter or coconut oil.
- Pour the batter on to the waffle iron plate – make sure you don't add too much – and close the waffle iron. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes. You want them golden-brown not more.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a non-stick pan, add the sliced bananas and fry until brown on both sides.
- Serve the savoury waffles with Greek yogurt, maple syrup, bananas, and flaxseed.
Tips from the author
Don't have a waffle iron? Use a grill pan instead. The waffles will be slightly larger, but you can cut them to the desired size.