Get ready to indulge in a festive culinary masterpiece this holiday season with our Christmas veggie pie! This Christmas veggie pie looks amazing right? But trust us, the taste is even more spectacular. Packed with a symphony of flavours, our pie consists of pumpkin, onion, spinach, and the creamy richness of goat cheese. It's not just about the stunning exterior; we've crafted layers of veggies that make the inside just as enchanting. This Christmas, elevate your celebration with a slice of pure joy. Servings: 10-12 pieces.
- In a food processor, mix the flour with the butter, egg, a pinch of salt, and 2 tablespoons of water until it forms a dough. If the dough is too dry, add the third tablespoon of water. Place the dough in a plastic bag or cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease the springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Trim the top and bottom of the butternut squash, peel it, and slice the flesh into approximately 1 cm thick rounds, removing the seeds. Arrange the slices on the baking sheet. Drizzle half of the olive oil over the squash and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the onions into 1 cm thick rings, separating the rings. Place them in an ovenproof dish and drizzle with the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and season with salt and pepper. Cut the garlic bulb in half width wise and place both halves in the dish. Position the dish on the baking sheet alongside the squash. Bake the vegetables for 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Keep the oven on.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet and sauté the spinach until fully wilted. Drain it in a colander. Afterward, chop it finely and mix it with half of the goat cheese, panko breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and sprinkle some flour on your work surface. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin into a sheet. Place it over the springform pan and press it firmly. If you have extra dough, make decorative stars for the top of the Christmas pie.
- Spread the spinach mixture over the bottom of the springform pan. Layer the butternut squash slices on top and then the onions. Sprinkle the remaining goat cheese over the onions.
- Beat the egg and brush the top of the pie with it.
- Bake the Christmas pie for 50 – 60 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow it to cool briefly, then remove it from the springform pan. Cut into slices and your Christmas veggie pie is ready to be served!
Tips from the author
For more Chirstmas recipes, visit our Christmas recipe theme page: https://www.lovemysalad.com/content/christmas-recipes