The raspberry millefeuille is a traditional and chic dessert. This millefeuille with candied tomatoes is even tastier than with raspberry!
In this recipe the crème Suisse is homemade from scratch, which we recommend for the best result. Do you prefer an easier version? You can buy a package of crème patisserie at your grocery store.
How to prepare the tomato confit
- Wash and dry the tomatoes. Use a sharp knife to make a small cross on the convex side of the tomato. Note: only cut into the skin.
- Mix the water and sugar in a saucepan.
- Cut the vanilla pod open lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and pod to the sugar water and bring to the boil.
- When the sugar water has reached boiling point, remove the saucepan from the heat and carefully scoop the tomatoes into the sugar water. Let the tomatoes marinate for half an hour.
- Carefully scoop the tomatoes out of the sugar water. You can now easily remove the peel from the tomatoes.
- Put the peeled tomatoes back in the sugar water until you are ready to plate up.
How to prepare the puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cover a baking tray with baking paper or a baking mat. Take the puff pastry slices out of the freezer and cut out a round of about 7-8 centimetres. Place the rounds on the baking tray and cover with baking paper. Place a baking tray on the baking paper so that there is weight on the puff pastry. The dough should not rise.
- Bake the pastry round crispy and golden brown in approximately 25-30 minutes.
How to prepare the crème Suisse
- Pour the milk into a saucepan.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds, add to the milk and bring to the boil.
- Soak the gelatine in cold water. Mix the egg yolk, sugar, and custard powder.
- Pour the milk into the egg mixture while stirring. Pour back into the saucepan and allow to bind while stirring.
- Squeeze out the gelatine and dissolve in the crème. Pour the crème into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Beat the whipped cream to yoghurt thickness and fold it through the crème. Put the crème in a piping bag.
- Place a puff pastry round on the plate. Pipe a layer of crème Suisse on top.
- Divide 8 tomatoes over the crème and grate lime zest over it.
- Repeat these steps until there are 3 layers. Dust with icing sugar.