This apple and carrot salad is a great cleansing salad and ideal for weight loss after the heavy dishes we tend to eat in winter. It is fantastic meal for athletes. In fact, the recipe was given to me by my husband, who when he was young (well, I should say younger… haha) used to participate in every marathon he could find, so he had to train more than Rocky Balboa.
If we analyze the ingredients, we see that the raw apple and carrot are key to a satisfying and remineralising dish, rich in fiber and vitamins A and C. The energy you need to train longer and harder and "burn fat" comes from the raisins and nuts. The cheese provides protein and calcium needed to tone your muscles. In short, we have a salad chock full of complex carbohydrates, fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals. What more could you ask for?
- Wash, core, and slice the apple. Sprinkle with a few drops of lemon juice to avoid browning.
- Wash and cut carrot into strips (using a peeler).
- Drain the cheese well (maybe even pat dry) and cut into pieces.
- Wash and dry the lettuce and celery leaves, then chop.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and distribute the apple, carrot, currants, nuts, and cheese evenly.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all ingredients in a bowl. Emulsify, drizzle over the salad, and serve.
Tips from the author
- The amount of cheese you use is up to you. I put about 150 grams. If you can’t find Burgos cheese, try a mild feta.
- I recommend you pat the cheese dry so it does not "water down" the salad.
- It is also advisable to use a salad spinner for the lettuce for the same reason.
- If you prefer, you can put pine nuts instead of walnuts.