A smoothie is a healthy drink, usually made with fruits, dairy, and ice cream. The ingredients are combined to make a deliciously creamy drink. This is often the basis for me, but I am now more frequently making a smoothie with vegetables. Not just for the great taste, but for the instant vitamin boost and the added fibre. And last but not least, because vegetables have a good shelf life and I always have a supply on hand.
When people see this smoothie, everyone immediately thinks of blueberries and blackberries... but there is no red fruit in this smoothie! My secret vegetable ingredient gives this veggie smoothie its beautiful, vibrant purple colour!
This veggie smoothie does not contain any added sugars, making it a healthy choice. Blending also makes it light and fluffy!
- Wash the red cabbage and grate 100 grams.
- Place the grated red cabbage with the almond milk in a blender. Blend on high speed.
- Squeeze the orange and place the juice in the blender along with the pulp (even more fibre!).
- Wash and halve the apple. Remove the core and cut into cubes. Add this, too.
- Then peel the banana and add it whole.
- Blend everything together on high speed until smooth, then serve.
- Garnish with a slice of orange if desired. Makes a great weekend or holiday treat.
- And pop in an environmentally friendly straw!