The new school year is about to start! Time to dig out the lunchboxes, milk containers and snacks. Are you still on the lookout for lunchbox filler ideas for the pending school year? Then we have some great suggestions for you! We understand that you might not have much time to put together lunchboxes every morning and certainly nothing as extensive as what is shown in this photo. But what you can do is create a healthy and tasty mix by adding vegetables to the lunchbox! You can add cucumbers or tomatoes. Another option is to add vegetables to a delicious egg muffin! You can make them easily in advance, freeze them and place frozen in the lunch box. And if you want to go a step further then make guacamole chicken boats: Little Gem leaves filled with a mixture of guacamole and poached chicken. You can make that mix in advance too. And if you want to make the box completely festive then halve a banana lengthwise and put peanut butter between the two halves: easy!
- Fry the bacon rasher in a pan until crispy. Then crumble it into pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease two muffin tins.
- Beat the eggs. Dice the pepper into small cubes and finely chop the fresh parsley. Then divide the peppers, peas, bacon pieces and parsley between the two muffin tins. Pour the beaten egg over this and mix with a spoon.
- Place the muffin tins in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat 300 ml of vegetable stock or water in a pan and poach the chicken until tender. Then remove from the pan and pull apart with a fork. Mash the avocado into a mousse and stir the chicken through the avocado.
- Fill four lettuce leaves with the avocado chicken spread and place two filled lettuce boats in a lunchbox.
Tips from the author
Other ideas for your bento box:
- 1 banana
- 2 teaspoons peanut butter
- Cherry tomatoes
- Snack cucumbers
- Baby carrots
- Sweet red pepper
Halve the banana lengthwise and spread peanut butter on one of the cut edges. Top with the other half and cut the filled banana in half. Place a banana 'sandwich' in each box.
Fill the box further with cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, slices of cucumber and sweet red pepper.