This tropical salad is one of my favourites to make in summer, as it is very refreshing and appetizing. The quick preparation and the simplicity of its ingredients make this salad a regular in our recipe box. This is an ideal starter, or a delicious main meal if you want a light, but nutritious, dinner!
- Cut the bottom off each endive and remove the outer leaves. Clean with a damp cloth and cut vertically into 4 pieces each.
- Drain the corn, peel and dice the kiwi, and peel and cut the mango into long strips.
- Cut the surimi into thin strips. If using prawns, peel and chop or leave whole according to preference.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl and emulsifying slightly.
- On a serving platter or bowl, alternate the endive with slices of mango.
- Distribute the remaining ingredients above the endive and mango, and don’t forget to add the corn and chopped nuts.
- Dress with the dressing, if desired, and serve chilled.
Tips from the author
- I prefer to serve the dressing on the side in a little bowl so that each guest can add it to their preference.
- This salad is very refreshing and nourishing. (It contains 2 serves of fresh fruit and 1 of fresh vegetables which gives me peace of mind that I’m meeting the 5 servings recommended by WHO, because fresh fruits and vegetables are an essential source of nutrients for maintaining our health.)
- Make sure that the kiwi is not too soft, and even a little underripe.
- The mango should be ripe, as they are generally sweeter.
- The surimi sticks can be bought frozen. You can also use the surimi that is sold in strips. (or substitue the crab sticks with shelled prawns)