Aubergine and hummus? Yes! Even if you're not a big fan of aubergine, we challenge you to try this anyway. Because you slowly fry the aubergine in oil, it becomes deliciously soft and sweet. Serve on a plate with hummus and top the loaded hummus with spicy butter and slightly sour capers. Serve French bread and toast to scoop up the hummus together with the cooked aubergine. Delicious!
- Cut the aubergine into bite-sized cubes. Mix with the salt in a sieve and drain over a bowl. Leave stand for at least 30 minutes. Then rinse and drain.
- Heat a large amount (at least 3 cm) of sunflower oil in a wok or frying pan. Fry the aubergine for 15 – 20 minutes until brown and soft. Then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Shortly before serving, heat the butter in a saucepan and until it melts. Add the chilli flakes, paprika, and ginger powder plus a pinch of salt and stir. Then pour into a bowl.
- Spread the hummus over a plate and divide the cooked eggplant over it. Top with the capers, a few tablespoons of hot butter and garnish with fresh oregano.
- Add the rest of the butter and serve the loaded hummus immediately.
Tips from the author
Hummus is always a great idea for parties! If you want to diversify and offer your guests another hummus option, then you should definitely try this pumpkin humus recipe.