This Hawaiian salad has been part of my usual summer recipe for a few years now. When the temperatures climb and you realise you don’t need your heater on, and you start to crave something lighter to eat, it is the perfect dish to have in mind. Taking just a few minutes to prepare, you will really enjoy this salad; served nice and fresh from the refrigerator, it can be ready in a jiffy, and works great as a main meal in summer. Try it, you have nothing to lose!
- Cook the rice in a bowl in the microwave, about one minute. Set aside to cool.
- Drain pineapple and corn, reserving a little pineapple juice for the dressing.
- Peel and dice the onion finely. Cut the ham into strips, and add both to the bowl with rice.
- Wash and dry the lettuce leaves well, and set aside.
- Chop the pineapple and add, along with sweet corn, to the rest of the ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix all ingredients well to combine.
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by combining the cocktail sauce, pineapple juice, a little salt and pepper, and grated coconut.
- Stir well to ensure all ingredients are combined.
- Using the lettuce leaves as the base for an individual salad, top with the rice and salad, and drizzle with the dressing.
- Don’t forget to serve well chilled!
Tips from the author
- Being faithful to the motto of my blog (to save time and money in the kitchen), I have used pre-cooked rice, which I buy frozen in convenient 150g bags, so that - by not having to cook - I save a lot of time and also don’t even have to use my stove. However, if you’re not in a hurry, feel free to cook your rice however you prefer (and also freeze your own)
- Same goes for the pink, also called marie-rose, cocktail sauce; I've used store bought and ready to serve. If you have a brand that you trust to be good quality, it can save you a lot of time.