Vegetables are full of surprises! Who would have thought that beetroot could be prepared so exquisitely? In this recipe, they are baked in the oven with red wine and herbs and served on chestnut puree. A real feast!
- Preheat oven to 200 °C top/bottom heat.
- Wash beetroot thoroughly and cut off both ends. They do not need to be peeled.
- Cut onions into half rings, chop garlic cloves roughly.
- Put everything together with wine, water, herbs and spices in a baking dish with lid. Spread butter in flakes on top and braise in the oven covered for about 90 minutes.
- Then remove the lid and allow braising until the liquid has reduced a little but not yet has completely evaporated, as this serves as a sauce.
- Bring the chestnuts with salt and cream to the boil in a small pot and let them simmer for about 10 minutes. Then puree them with a blender until smooth.
- Arrange the chestnut puree with the braised beetroot, red wine onions and sauce on two plates.
- Decorate as desired with herb twigs.
Tips from the author
If you cannot get chestnuts, you can also prepare mashed potatoes. Then peel the potatoes, dice them finely and cook them in salted water until they are done. Add cream and salt and mash.