This beetroot spread is refined with peppers, tomatoes and onions. It tastes wonderfully fruity and goes well not only with a fresh baguette, but also as a chutney with meat, rice or lots of vegetables.
- Peel onion and cut into small cubes.
- Peel garlic and chop finely.
- Heat 5 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the onions with garlic.
- Peel and grate the carrots and add them to the onions in the pan.
- Cut peppers in half, remove the seeds, wash and dice them.
- Add the peppers to the pan with the onions and garlic in the frying pan and fry about 3 minutes at medium heat, while stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the beetroot finely.
- Heat 5 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Add beetroot and steam for about 5 minutes. Season with raspberry vinegar, chilli and paprika.
- Wash tomatoes and pour boiling water over them in a bowl. Drain after one minute, peel and chop the skin.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and parsley to the beetroot, bring it to boil and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat with the lid closed.
- Pour into the jars while still hot, close and turn them upside down for 30 minutes.
- Chill after cooling, so the spread will remain preserved for weeks.
Tips from the author
The beetroot spread can be perfectly stored in jars.