Batavia lettuce resembles ordinary lettuce, but has more crinkled leaves and a wavy leaf margin. There are bright green and red-brown varieties. Actually, Batavia lettuce is a very authentic type of lettuce and the precursor of the well-known Iceberg lettuce. Batavia lettuce leaves are typically sweet and crisp.
How to prepare
Wash the lettuce well and let it drain or spin dry the leaves. Tear the leaves into smaller pieces.
Buyer's and storage guide
- The lettuce should have a fresh colour, be crispy and fresh.
- Store lettuce in the vegetable crisper of the refrigerator. That way, it will remain fresh normally for up to four days.
- A perfect leaf base to build your salad, can be mixed with other types of lettuce
- In a summer salad with, for example, with diced capsicum and goat cheese
- Salad sandwiches with cheese, sausage or tuna salad
- Rolled up in wraps with, for example, smoked chicken and cream cheese