You probably know the traditional caponata, but did you know that you can vary this dish in many ways? Ideal if you are looking for something different. This recipe is a delicious summery version of the well-known dish, thanks to the addition of apple, peach, and ras-al-hanout. The latter gives a delicious deep flavour to the caponata, making it ideal to combine with salty feta and fresh pomegranate seeds. You've never tasted caponata like this before!
- Chop the onion. Remove top and bottom of the pointed pepper and aubergine and cut the flesh into small cubes. Slice the celery stalks thinly and slice the apples and peaches finely.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Then add the aubergine, pointed pepper, and celery and sauté for a few minutes. Pour in the passata along with 100 ml of water. Bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes until the eggplant is soft.
- Halfway through the cooking time add the raisins, pine nuts and ras al hanout.
- You can choose to serve the caponata immediately or to let it simmer for a while. The longer it simmers, the tastier it gets!
- Prepare the ciabatta according to the instructions on the package.
- Season the caponata with salt and pepper before serving. Halve the ciabatta and then cut it into pieces. Spread the summer caponata over the ciabatta pieces.
- Garnish with feta, pomegranate seeds, and parsley. Serve immediately.
Tips from the author
If you have leftover caponata, freeze it to eat later with naan or baguette!