Smoky roasted vegetables with tuna on toast is a typical Catalan dish. It is very simple to make and can serve as an entrée or as an easy, inexpensive dinner. Above the oven roasted (or grilled) vegetables, we usually put some variation of tuna, anchovies, tuna and anchovies, salami, ham, etc... coming together into a perfect combination of tastes and flavours. In all its many versions, these smoky roasted vegetables are a treat for the senses.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. While it heats, wash vegetables (eggplant, onion and capsicum) and place whole on a tray.
- Once cooking, keep an eye on the vegetables, turning occasionally, to ensure they are browning evenly. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool so that you can peel them. Once you have removed the skin, cut the eggplant and capsicum into strips about 1 cm. thick. Cut the onion into quarters and spread apart the petals.
- Toast the slices of country bread (in the same oven or toaster). Spread the clove of garlic on the bread (to taste).
- Place the strips of capsicum and eggplant alternately on the slice of bread and, above, the "petals " of onion.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil to taste (approx. 2 tablespoons per slice).
- Crumble the tuna and distribute over the roasted vegetables, arranging it artfully, and serve.
Tips from the author
- While some recipes say that you need to rub vegetables with salt and oil before grilling, the truth is that in most cases, they get beautifully browned without adding anything.
- Oven times are relative and we are not mathematicians, so I recommend you find the exact time that it will take in yours. The first time you prepare this dish, make sure to keep an eye on the roasted vegetables.
- Adding garlic to the toast is optional. If you do not like the taste of it, feel free to leave it out.