Fresh spinach has to be washed a few times, to rinse out all the sand. Drain in a colander. Spinach from the freezer, jar or can has to be heated before serving.
Preparation time for spinach
Cooked: 5 - 7 minutes
Stir fried: 3 - 5 minutes
Microwave: 5 – 7 minutes
Simmered: approx. 5-10 minutes
Steamed: approx. 5-10 minutes
Buying and storage
- Spinach should have a rich green color, look fresh and have strong, soft leaves.
- Fresh spinach should be eaten at the day of purchase. If that's impossible, fresh salad can be kept in a cool place for a day and in the refrigerator for two days.
- Cooked and chopped, tasty with a boiled egg
- Added to a stew just before serving
- Raw in a salad with feta or grilled bacon
- In a savory pie with medium-aged or blue cheese
- Fried with onions, Italian herbs and strips of ham, served with pasta
- As a fast pasta sauce: Warm frozen spinach with butter, cheese and roasted nuts
- Also ideal as a filling for wraps with spices, cheese or ham