It’s hard to believe that this witlof with anchovy dish can be so simple, so healthy, and so tasty. Just a few ingredients, quick preparation and beautiful presentation… that’s what my recipes are like.
- Cut the foot of the witlof and remove outer leaves.
- Put them in a microwave safe bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and add the white wine and 2-3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Microwave on high, covered, for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and mince the garlic clove, mince the anchovy fillets, and mix together in a small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the vinegar and the remaining olive oil.
- After 7 minutes, remove the witlof from the microwave and spread on a plate or platter, saving two big spoonfuls of the liquid in the bowl.
- Add the two spoonfuls of the liquid into the bowl with the sauce and mix well.
- Drizzle the sauce over the witlof, garnish with a few strips of red pepper (capsicum) and serve.
Tips from the author
- This dish can be eaten warm or cold
- For an unusual twist, substitute sherry for the white wine
- The garlic and anchovy fillets can be mashed with a mortar & pestle, but keep in mind this is also another dish to wash
- Take care when salting the witlof, as the anchovies can be quite salty