- Start by preparing the satay sauce. Mix the peanut butter with all the ingredients in a pan. Warm this slowly until it forms a smooth sauce.
- Cut the baguette into 4 equal pieces and then slice through the middle, leaving them joined at the edge.
- Wash the radishes and grate them over a small bowl. Set this apart for later use. This will be used as a garnish over the satay sauce. Instead of the usual fried onions ...
- Wash the cucumber. For this dish you use only half the cucumber. Use a cheese slicer to scrape 4 long strips the length of the cucumber.
- Choose 4 carrots of equal length and remove the foliage. Leave the tip of the foliage on the carrot. This adds a lovely visual effect.
- Boil the carrots briefly until al dente. Meanwhile, heat a grill pan with some oil.
- Grill the 4 carrots on both sides until the grill stripe is visible.
- Grill the cucumber strips the same way until grill stripes are created.
- Finally wash the lettuce leaves and cut the fresh herbs.
- Everything is now ready to build the hot dogs.
- Open the baguette slices, top with lettuce, the grilled carrot and then the grilled cucumber. Scoop approx. 1½ tablespoons saté sauce over each bun. Sprinkle with roasted cashew nuts, the grated radish, some freshly ground pepper and the fresh-cut herbs.
Tips from the author
For this recipe I chose to grill the vegetables, but stir-frying is also a good option. Stir-fried carrot, cucumbers, satay sauce, cashew nuts, and grated radish together with rice make a delicious evening meal!
An Asian cucumber can be purchased at Chinese supermarkets. Or use a normal cucumber instead.