This recipe couldn’t be simpler, requiring just one dish for preparation and cooking. This might be just what you need if you’ve exhausted yourself after hosting and feeding family and friends for the holiday, or you’ve spent hours in the garden getting it ready for summer. For this dish, I chose True Rebel Mix® because the assortment reminds me of the brilliant colors of dyed eggs in an Easter basket. Baking the tomatoes at high heat preserves their various colors and shapes, and tossing in fresh herbs balances their sweetness and pumps up the vibrancy. So easy to make, this could become your go-to dish for any day of the week, any season.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, herbs, olive oil, ¼ teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and chili flakes (if using) in a baking dish (1 to 2 quarts in size).
- Bake for 10 minutes until tomatoes are soft (or up to 25 minutes if you have the time and you want more of a concentrated tomato sauce).
- With a wooden spoon, make 4 small wells in the tomatoes. Crack an egg into each well and sprinkle salt, pepper, and chili pepper (if using) atop the eggs.
- Bake until the yolks are set to your liking, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls with bread to soak up the savory juices.