Everyone knows the famous cinnamon rolls, but did you know that you can also make these rolls deliciously savoury? Ideal for those who don’t have a sweet tooth. Although, they’re great for sweet tooths too, because of the irresistible mix of spinach, pesto, and feta! It’s not just the filling that makes them so tempting: the garlic butter you brush over adds a mouth-watering burst of flavour! These delicious spinach and feta rolls are so worth taking the time to make. Try them today!
After preparation, the rolls need to rise for 90 minutes and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Making these spinach and feta rolls starts with making the dough. Heat the milk in a saucepan until lukewarm. Then add the yeast and sugar and stir briefly. Let stand for 10 minutes until you see bubbles. A sign that the yeast is doing its job.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the olive oil.
- Make a well in the flour and pour in the egg mixture and the yeast mixture. Blend with the hand blender for 10 minutes to form a soft dough. Place the dough in a greased bowl and set aside to rise for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, make the filling: chop the shallot and finely chop or crush the garlic clove.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. Next add the spinach and let it shrink.
- Then put the spinach mixture into a tall measuring cup together with the pesto and lemon juice. Blend until creamy. Season with salt and pepper and set aside until ready to use.
- Knock the air out of the dough after it has risen and sprinkle some flour on your workbench. Use the rolling pin to roll the dough into a rectangle of about 30 by 40 cm and ½ cm thick.
- Brush the dough with the spinach pesto and spread with the feta. Then roll up from the long side and cut into 6cm thick slices. Place them on a greased, or baking paper lined, baking tray and set aside to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Beat the egg.
- Brush the spinach and feta rolls with the beaten egg before putting them in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes until the rolls are cooked and nicely browned.
- In the meantime, heat the butter in a saucepan together with the crushed garlic clove. When the rolls come out of the oven, immediately brush them with the garlic butter. Sprinkle with some coarse sea salt and serve immediately.