This simple spelt salad will be a delight for your taste buds. The sweet and nutty flavour of spelt is matched perfectly with the freshness of lemon and the punch of feta and spring onion.
It takes no time at all to create this lunchtime salad. The ingredients can be chopped up while the spelt is cooking, and it’s a great option for a light but wholesome lunch, or a side salad.
Spelt is an ancient, whole grain that’s packed with fibre. It is strongly related to wheat and has made a comeback in recent years as a health food. If your preference is for a different type of grain, like rice or quinoa, these will also be a great base for the salad.
- Cook the spelt as instructed on the packet. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, slice the lettuce into bite-sized strips and slice the onions into thin rings.
- Cut the feta into small cubes.
- Mix the spelt with the lettuce, onions, feta and sardines.
- Season with olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir gently, but well.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the salad before serving.