It’s all about the luxurious look when talking about Romanesco! For some it resembles miniature Christmas trees while others compare it with the back of a dinosaur. Anyway, this dish puts the Romanesco and its unique appearance in the well-deserved spotlights. By cutting the Romanesco into steaks and roasting them to perfection in a grill pan, of course with the mandatory grill marks, you can serve a luxurious dish in the blink of an eye. An easy and quick cooking method… so always a win! Perfect for your next dinner party where you want to leave a lasting impression!
The Romanesco steaks are combined with a delicious truffle dressing and a creamy sweet potato mash. Sprinkle brown roasted pine nuts and spring onions on top for that extra touch of food magic creating a cosy plate of comfort food. Sounds delicious, right? Give it a try yourself!
- First make the truffle dressing by mixing the ingredients for the truffle mayonnaise. Do you believe the dressing is too sour? Then add some extra mayonnaise. But be careful; this dressing is made to add that fresh touch to the dish so don’t make it too creamy in taste.
- Roast the pine nuts in a frying pan with a little oil until golden brown. Cut the spring onion into thin rings.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit). Remove the leaves of the Romanesco, but don’t touch the stem yet. Slice the Romanesco heads lengthwise, from the top to the stem. Cut a steak about 2 cm (0.8 inches) thick on both halves on the stem side. You now have 2 steaks. Cut the florets from the remaining Romanesco and grill them later.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes. Next boil them in water and add 2 teaspoons of salt until the cubes are tender, which takes about 10 – 15 minutes. Puree the sweet potato in a food processor or with a hand blender until you get a potato mash. Add the butter and optionally a dash of milk for an extra smooth, silky and creamy mash.
- Place the romanesco steaks on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Brush both sides of the steaks with olive oil. Also cover the florets with olive oil and put them next to the steaks. Grill the steaks for about 25 minutes, turn the steaks halfway through the grilling time. If you want them to be even softer, let them cook somewhat longer in the oven.
- Divide the sweet potato mash over the plates. Put the Romanesco steaks and/or the Romanesco florets on top. Divide the truffle dressing over the steaks and garnish the Romanesco steaks with pine nuts and spring onions.