Getting your fill of veggies is a lot easier than you might have expected. These stuffed Mexican sweet pointed peppers are living proof! When you first think of stuffed peppers, classic bell peppers are typically what come to mind. However, did you know sweet pointed peppers can be stuffed too? Just read and learn!
This recipe is all about a spicy rice filling that you season with paprika, cumin and oregano. Next, you mix the rice with tomatoes and kidney beans, providing you with much-needed protein. This hearty meal is topped with a delicious crunch of tortilla chips and cheddar cheese. It is a quick and easy way to make a mouth-watering meal in just minutes. Moreover, thanks to the abundance of vegetables, you serve a healthy pepper package. And believe it or not, this stuffed Mexican pointed pepper will create a festival of colors right on your dinner table. Colors are the smiles of this dish!
- Follow the directions on the package to cook the rice.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Thinly chop the garlic clove or crush it until you get garlic paste. Chop the onion. Preheat a large pan at medium-high heat. Add the onion and the garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Next, add the paprika powder, cumin powder, the oregano and the tomato paste. Stir well to get the bitterness out of the tomato paste. Then add the diced tomatoes and stir well.
- Add the kidney beans to the pan and heat through. Add the cooked rice and briefly heat the rice as well. Season the rice with pepper and salt.
- Remove the sweet pointed pepper stem and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and membranes. Put the pepper halves skin side down on the baking tray.
- Break the tortilla chips into small pieces and mix them in a bowl with the cheddar cheese.
- Fill the pepper halves with the rice-tomato mixture and cover them with the tortilla chip-cheddar mixture. Put the stuffed Mexican pointed peppers in the oven and cook them for 15 – 20 minutes until the peppers have softened and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with some roughly chopped parsley and cilantro.
Tips from the author
Sweet pointed peppers offer quality and great taste with their unique traits of thin skin, fewer seeds, rich and sweet flavor and versatility. Sweet pointed peppers can be purchased at most Meijer grocery stores and Sprouts Farmers Market.