I've been waiting all year for mangos to come into season! As I had stocked up the other day on Calypso mangos (my favorite!), when this heat wave came through on the weekend, I wanted to incorporate them into a salad that I could whip up without spending too much time in the kitchen. This sweet summer salad was light and refreshing, perfect for a hot sticky summer day. I had some frozen cherries which I muddled and added to the dressing on a whim, just for a little extra tang, but this is of course optional. As always, play around with whatever ingredients you have in your kitchen - some green capsicum (bell pepper) would also be nice and add a bit more green.
- Spread almonds on a baking tray and roast in the oven or under the grill for a few minutes until toasted; set aside to cool.
- Wash the lettuce, cucumber, blueberries, and mango. Chop the lettuce into bite sized pieces, slice the cucumber, and add to a large salad bowl.
- For the mango, cut off the cheeks and slice (just to the skin) three times lengthwise and across. When you flip the skin around, pop the pieces out and you have perfectly cubed mango.
- Add the cubed mango and fresh blueberries to the salad bowl with the lettuce.
- Once the almonds have cooled, chop them roughly and add to the bowl.
For the dressing: Muddle a handful of blueberries in a bowl. Put in a small jar with a tight lid and add the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil, and shake vigourously to combine. Add a pinch of salt and a fair amount of freshly ground pepper; the pepper, surprisingly, brings out the sweetness of the berries.
Toss the salad with the dressing and serve!
Tips from the author
If you have any frozen berries in the freezer (cherries, strawberries, raspberries, etc), these add a nice tart flavor - take a few out of the freezer before you begin and they should unfreeze quickly and be easy to muddle and add to the dressing.