I get excited about salads with eggplant. I just love all the possibilities you get with this vegetable that simply soaks up all the flavours. It's a perfect match with grilled capsicum.
In this salad, which is a meal in itself, I've served it on a bed of lentils drizzled with fresh lemon juice, chat potates and steamed asparagus on the side. The mild spicy dressing adds just the right flavours. Enjoy with a glass of Chardonnay and background music by Steely Dan!
- First boil the chat potatoes.
- Cut the eggplant into 1cm thick slices and slice the capsicum. Brush each side with olive oil then char grill them for sbout 5 minutes on each side. Allow to cool slightly then slice into strips for the salad.
- Steam the asparagus for a few minutes and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking the cream and spices together.
- To serve: Make a base layer of lentils on each plate and generously squeeze the juice of the lemon over the lentils. Top with the grilled eggplant and capsicum. Place the asparagus and chat potatoes on the side.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and garnish with parsley, spring onions and a wedge of lemon.