Often, when we eat out, we may think of grilled meat or fish as a healthy option, but grilled vegetables can also be a great way to avoid heavy or high-fat meals at a restaurant.
While the most commonly found veggies are grilled eggplant, zucchini, onion, pepper or even grilled tomato, you can grill almost any vegetable! Feel free to add your favourite vegetables: carrots, green asparagus ... or whatever vegetables you have in the fridge and feel like grilling.
In addition, we will add a drizzle of olive oil and a few fresh basil leaves, finely chopped, for an easy Mediterranean seasoning that will give a fresh and delightful touch.
1. First, cut the eggplant into slices and submerge in plenty of salted water to remove the bitterness. After half an hour, drain well, rinse, and dry.
2. Wash and cut all the other vegetables in whichever manner you prefer (sticks, slices, rectangles...).
3. In a griddle with a little olive oil, and with good high heat, let all the vegetables grill, a few minutes per side.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add a few drops of lemon.
5. When all the vegetables are cooked to your liking, plate and drizzle with a little olive oil, top with finely chopped basil leaves, and serve immediately.
Tips from the author
As I have previously mentioned in my articles on "Different ways to cook vegetables”, grilling is one of the healthiest cooking methods, due to the low utilization of fat (like oil or butter) and little loss of nutrients. This dish in particular is a very light and very tasty dish to share at a dinner or a meal with friends or family.
You're going to see this is a comprehensive, yet easy to make and highly nutritious dish. Of course, without lactose or milk protein. I’ve also added a video recipe so you can follow along step by step to make this delicious grilled dish.