Grilled aubergine stacks with mozzarella and tomato. This dish is guaranteed to steal the show! With a few ingredients and minimum effort, you can make a fantastic dish in no time. These little aubergine, tomato, sweet pepper and mozzarella stacks can be served as a starter. Alternatively, if you serve two per person and add a delicious Italian salad to go with them, they will also make an excellent main course. The slices of aubergine can easily be used as a meat substitute – so lots of lovely vegetables, in other words!
- Cut the aubergines into 12 1cm slices.
- Sprinkle them lightly with salt and wrap them in kitchen paper or a tea towel. Leave them for 10 minutes to drain off the excess moisture. Wipe them dry.
- Heat a good layer of olive oil in a pan and deep-fry the slices of aubergine for about six minutes until dark brown and soft. Turn them over occasionally. Drain on kitchen paper.
- In the meantime, cut the tomatoes and mozzarella into four slices. Slice the pointed peppers into rings.
- Make the stacks as follows: a slice of deep-fried aubergine, a slice of mozzarella, tomato, basil and a few rings of pointed pepper, drizzling some balsamic glaze in between each layer as you go. Repeat, ending with a slice of aubergine, then season the stack with salt and freshly ground black pepper.