Remove any ugly leaves and wash the lettuce with an abundance of water. Cut the leaves into strips and drain them well. If there is still sand on the endive lettuce, wash it again. You should prepare 300 to 400 grams per person if you want to cook it - endive shrinks during cooking! – and 100 grams per person to prepare a salad. The cooking water must be discarded, because nitrate will have accumulated.
- Cooked: 10 - 13 minutes
- Sautéed: 6 - 8 minutes
- Microwave: 5 - 6 minutes
- Smoldered: 7 - 8 minutes
- Steamed: approx. 15 minutes
Buying and storage
Endive mainly consists of water, so this vegetable can wither quickly. So when buying, make sure the endive looks fresh and feels firm. The bottom of the stem should be neither brown nor moist.
Endive is a sensitive vegetable that should be eaten as soon as possible after you bought it . In a plastic bag with holes it can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Stew with raw endive and strips of sun-dried tomato
- Fried with onions and served with peanut sauce
- As a salad with fried bacon and finely chopped onions
- Endive salad with pieces of orange and raisins
- Steamed with apple
- In a savory pie with bacon and cheese