Remove the outer leaves and cut into the inner stems to separate into florets, wash and prepare as required. Florets can be consumed raw, giving a crunch and nutty flavour to any dish, but also cooked. Hint: the stems can also be used, simply trim off the outer skin and slice finely, limiting any waste.
- Baked: 10-20 minutes
- Sautéed: 6-9 minutes
- Microwave: 4 - 6 minutes
- Deep fried: 2 - 3 minutes
- Grilled: 8-12 mintues
- Steamed: 8-14 minutes
Buying and storage
- A fresh white cauliflower should have an undamaged curd that is firm and a bright colour. A large cauliflower is enough to prepare 4 side servings or as a feature on it's own.
- Cauliflower should be stored in an unsealed bag or container in the refrigerator for about a week, otherwise consume within 2-3 days.
- Traditionally cooked in any manner suggested above and served as a side alongside other vegetables and meat
- Use in curries, creamy, tomato or other sauces and 'one pot' dishes
- As a base key ingredient in soups, cauliflower combines well with celery, leek, potato and seasonal herbs
- Tempura florets, lightly battered and pan fried (with or without spices)
- Served raw in smaller florets with a dip as a healthy snacks / finger food