Remove the leafy tops of the raw beetroot and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes. Cooked beetroot only needs to be peeled and heated. Beetroot is becoming popular in salads. The leafy portion can also be used in salads or stir frying in the wok.
Preparation time for beetroots
- Roasted (in the oven): 20 - 25 minutes
- Microwave: 3 - 6 minutes
- Boiled: 20 minutes
- Steamed: 25-40 minutes
Buying and storage
- Red beetroots should be solid when you buy them. Look for fresh green tops.
- Fresh market bunched beetroot with leaves can be kept in the fridge for about a week, whereas late season (winter) beetroot (without the tops) can be kept in a cool place for several weeks. Cooked beetroot can be kept in the refrigerator for two days.
- Boil, allow to cool down then cut into small pieces and serve in a potato salad with apple
- Add chopped beetroot to your favourite stew
- As a raw vegetable grated and served in a salad with apple and onion
- Boiled and served with fresh or fried onion
- Blended to make a beetroot soup served with a spoonfool of sour cream