- 12 average sized sardines, beheaded, scaled, gutted and pin boned but with tail still on
- 2 onions, cut in rings
- 600g/1lb 6oz vine tomatoes
- 1 handful of black olives
- 1 handful of green olives
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ bunch of fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven at 200 degrees C / 400 degrees F / gas 6. Put a pan on the fire, add the olive oil and when very hot add the onion rings and let them sweat. When they’re turning soft add the garlic. Cut the vine tomatoes in four wedges and put them together with the oregano and the olives in the pan with the onions. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Meanwhile wash the sardines and dry them carefully with paper towel. Transfer half of the tomato mixture in the oven dish, put the sardines on top and divide the rest of the tomato mixture over the sardines. Place the dish in the oven and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. The sardines go well with roasted potato with aioli (garlic-mayonnaise).
A salad for four to share.